In this episode of Art of Authenticity, we had a deep dive into meditation with Amy Owen, yoga teacher and dula.
Today on the show we are joined by Amy Owen. Amy is a mother of three, a birth doula, a retreat leader, a yoga instructor at Yoga View in Chicago City, and has been practicing meditation since the ripe year of 1986. Although meditation might have not been as popular in the western world back then, today more and more people are wanting to include meditation into their lives and science is even stepping up and proving its life-changing benefits. In this episode, we discuss what meditation is, the benefits of meditation and what exactly happens to our mind when we do it. Amy explains the difference between the head brain and the heart brain and how meditation aims to strengthen the heart brain, which is growing progressively weaker with the demands of busy western life. Amy also shares one of her favorite mantra’s and invites us to try out one of her favorite simple meditations that you can start doing today. Whether you are new to meditation, are thinking of doing it or have been a lifelong meditator like Amy herself – this episode is for you.
Take a listen!
Thanks for Listening
Again, thank you so much for your support! Please subscribe to the podcast if you haven’t already!
- Amy explains the head brain and the heart brain and how we use them in modern life. [3:15]
- Why our head brains are over-developed and our heart brains are under-developed. [6:20]
- Learn why meditation is a tool to develop the heart brain and quiet the head brain. [7:50]
- Amy gives useful tips for quietening a busy, over-thinking mind during meditation. [9:30]
- Learn a technique and mantra that Amy uses to help ease the mind into meditation. [10:50]
- Find out what a mantra is and why it is a powerful tool in meditation. [11:15]
- Why Amy likes the simple repletion of the mantra: I [inhale]. Am [exhale]. [11:30]
- Close your eyes and do a short meditation along with Amy and I in this podcast. [12:20]
- And much more!