In this episode of Art of Authenticity, I had a thoughtful conversation with Andrew Taggart, practical philosopher, which involves speaking with entrepreneurs, business executives, artists, and spiritual seekers about the nature of a good life.
On today’s show we are joined by Andrew Taggart. Andrew is a practical philosopher and entrepreneur who I happened to discover in an article in Quartz Magazine. Andrew teaches executives, leaders, artists and entrepreneurs from Silicon Valley, and around the world, to bring philosophy to business and to their lives.
Andrew teaches individuals and organizations how to inquire into the things that matter most: like how to live life and how to find that deeper sense of fulfillment and purpose? In this episode, we learn more about the unique approach Andrew has cultivated into what he calls practical philosophy. With a Ph.D. in philosophy Andrew is able to bring all sorts of different philosophical schools of thought to the table but most of all, he’s just really interested in helping people live the greatest life that they can. What is a good life, how do you cultivate that, what does it mean to have a life with inquiry, what does that mean for each and every person? These are the questions of questions and if you’re interested to know how we can incorporate philosophy into our modern, every day lives, take a listen!
Thanks for Listening
Again, thank you so much for your support! Please subscribe to the podcast if you haven’t already!
- From PhD to practical philosophy: Andrew’s academic odyssey. [2:34]
- Ideas versus Ego in institutionalized philosophy and how that has shaped the study. [6:14]
- Philosophy in the modern world: How does it apply to our lives today and how do we make
- sense of the changes? [7:45]
- What is philosophy, really? Hear Andrew’s definition and what he is truly committed to.
- What Andrew does as a practical philosopher, carrying out his beliefs and studies. [13:23]
- The three elements that make up a philosophical conversation, and how to use them
- effectively. [15:42]
- The limits of a philosophical conversation, and why it is important to be aware of them.
- The Zen Buddhist element as it applies to philosophy today. [18:37]
- The Socratic element. [19:45]
- Are philosophers today sophists? Andrew tells us about his Silicon Valley clients. [20:48]
- The answer to life: Is there just one answer or do we have to continue searching? [26:31]
- The concepts of incarnating ideas and manifesting happiness in your life. [32:33]
More About Andrew
- Andrew Taggart’s Website — https://andrewjtaggart.com/
- Andrew Taggart in Quartz Magazine — https://qz.com/956682/philosopher-andrew-taggart-is- helping-silicon-valley-executives-define-success
- Andrew on Twitter — https://twitter.com/andrewjtaggart