In this episode of Art of Authenticity, I chatted with Olivia Goldhill, Harvard educated philosophy student and writer for Quartz.
Today on the podcast we have Olivia Goldhill joining us. Olivia is a weekend writer for Quartz, with a focus on philosophy and psychology. Quartz is a digitally native news outlet, for business people in the new global economy. Quartz’s founding team includes veterans of some of the world’s highest-quality news organizations who have reported in 115 countries and speak 19 languages. Quartz publishes bracingly creative and intelligent journalism with a broad worldview, creating a really well rounded new site. It’s not just your average story and from there, I discovered Olivia.
Olivia is a Harvard educated philosophy student and is interested in several subjects but one of them is authenticity, which is exactly what this podcast is all about. Olivia previously worked at The Daily Telegraph in the UK, first as part of their graduate scheme — which sent her to Media Wales and Press Association — then as a business reporter, and finally as a features writer. She reached out to me to come onto the show and we did more of a deep dive into authenticity from a philosophy as essentialism and what it means. Hope you like today’s show.
- Capturing the essence of stoicism and meditation philosophies, and what they mean for our lives. [4:58]
- Learn how to find the balance between the philosophy and the practical value of meditation. [9:11]
- Understand why people today have become mistrustful of the word “authenticity”. [11:18]
- Find out how Maslow’s Hierarchy and self-actualization play a role in your authenticity. [12:48]
- Why the act of deciding who you are and what you do, makes you that person in the end. [18:01]
- Knowing how to align your acts with your authenticity, doing everything in good faith. [25:26]
- Learn how to grapple with competing realities and the anxieties that come along with them. [27:25]
- Understand how to articulate your emotions and the importance of grounding them in something value. [29:21]
More About Olivia
Olivia Goldhill —
Olivia on Twitter —